Basic Botany: Lives of the Plants Certificate in Native Plants
One event on November 11, 2023 at 1:00 pm
One event on November 13, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Basic Botany: Certificate in Native Plants Core Course
$105 Registration Fee
Explore the biology of plants in this introduction to general plant anatomy, morphology, physiology, evolution, and development. This course presents the fundamental information about plants upon which other courses in the native plant certificate program will build, particularly Plant Taxonomy. With an emphasis on relating form to function, it surveys the origins of plants along with their basic forms and life processes. Students will become acquainted with plant tissues and structures, as well as their roles in the life of plants.
Course Learning Objectives & Outline (topics covered will include):
- Origins of plants and their basic groups
- Brief history and fundamentals of the science of botany
- Plant structures (internal and external) – their forms, functions and development
- Plant life cycles and reproduction
- Introduction to basic plant genetics
- Evolutionary adaptations of plants
This class consists of three elements: a series of pre-recorded introductory videos, in-person or at-home lab exercises exploring plant anatomy and a wrap-up discussion session through Zoom.
- Part 1 – Introductory Video Lectures – content released Nov. 1
- Part 2 – Exploratory Lab Exercises – self-paced at home OR in-person session Nov. 11, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Part 3 – Online Discussion Session – through Zoom Nov. 13, 6 – 7 p.m.
Additional lab sessions will be added as needed to accommodate student interest. Participants who are not able to attend the in-person lab will be provided instructions for conducting their own activities at home.
- November 1
- Event Categories:
- Athens, Certificate In Native Plants
- Virtual Lecture – Zoom
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia Athens,GA30605United States
- Botanical Garden Education Department: Adult Programs