- This event has passed.
Medicinal Plants of the Southeast
July 22, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
One event on July 22, 2023 at 10:00 am
Melisa Ray, research coordinator, UGA Social Sustainability of Agrifood Systems Lab
Did you know that you are living in nature’s medicine cabinet? The Southern Appalachian region is home to a great diversity of medicinal plants that have been used by various cultures throughout history and are still valued by modern herbalists today. This workshop will acquaint you with some of our most important native herbs of the southeast and includes self-paced virtual learning and a live, online session with the instructor.
Course Learning Objectives & Outline (topics covered will include):
- History of herbalism in our unique landscape
- Identification, uses, and growing habits of native medicinal plants
- Overview of herbal preparations and uses
- How to make your own herbal salves and tinctures at home
This class consists of three elements: an introduction to medicinal plants and remedies, self-paced learning activities and a live, online two-hour program.
- Part 1 – Introductory Video Lectures and Self-Paced Activities – content released 7/14
- Part 2 – Online Class Session – 7/22, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.