Learning by Leading™ provides students a combination of leadership skills and real-world experience to help address the earth’s most important environmental issues. Students will have the opportunity to get experiential learning credits, get involved with service learning projects, gain leadership skills, lead teams and work together to solve real world challenges based on the student’s interest. Students will work with a staff mentor on projects relating to science, conservation, environmental education and horticulture.
What is Learning by Leading™?
The Learning by Leading™ at UGA (L*L@UGA) program will grow a leadership community for University of Georgia students. This experiential learning model will allow scholars to learn, participate and lead. By working as part of a team and assuming increased responsibility over time, students will develop ties to staff and professional mentors and create opportunities for advancement through technical, interpersonal and conceptual skill development.
Students who progress through the leadership ladder will engage in professional experiences that include mentoring new participants, leading projects at the garden and working with partners to address issues such as managing sustainable ecosystems and training and educating the public about biological sciences.
Learning by Leading™ is:
- Experiemental Learning: LEARN by doing, leading and reflecting. Students will also have the opportunity to earn Experiential Learning credits.
- Service Learning: GIVE back to the community through outreach and service projects.
- Team Building: DEVELOP strong bonds with a community of students working to achieve the State Botanical Garden’s mission.
- Leadership Opportunities: FACILITATE and IMPLEMENT signature project goals as a student leader.
- Internship Opportunities: GAIN leadership skills that can lead to external partner internships.
- Co-Creation: IDENTIFY opportunities to co-create with UGA staff, faculty and industry partners to solve challenges to real world problems.
Let us know your interested in becoming part of Learning by Leading™.
Application Coming Soon